Based on the provisions of the Civil Registry Law, the Civil Registry and Migration Department (CRMD) is responsible for the issuance of passports to Cypriot citizens.
CRMD issues passports with biometric data (photograph and fingerprints) as well as the signature of the holder. To ensure compliance with relevant data protection regulations, the fingerprints of the holder are erased from the system within 48 hours from the issuance of the passport.
From 30.7.2020 the new version of passports issued to Cypriot citizens (ordinary, diplomatic, service) has been circulated. All the above documents are biometric, in line with the specifications set in the international and European law and thus have increased levels of security against counterfeiting, forgery and impersonation. It is noted that all current version documents will remain in force until the date of their expiry and will not be replaced.
Samples of the new version of the passports can be found here.
Application for issuance or renewal of passport for adults
For the issuance or renewal of passport, the citizen has to submit the relevant application which you can find at the bottom of this page. Applications are submitted at the District Administrations, the Citizens Service Centers and Service Centers (Post Offices).
During the application procedure, a duly trained and authorized officer captures the biometrics (photograph and fingerprints) as well as the signature of the citizen.
In addition, for submitting the application the citizen must pay a fee of €70, as foreseen by the relevant law.
In case the application has been submitted from a person who acquired the Cypriot Citizenship through naturalization or by registration and has not yet acquired an ID card, she/he has to submit the following documents, together with the passport application:
Application for issuance or renewal of limited validity passport to a minor
Application for accelerated issuance of a passport
Application for replacement of a passport due to loss or theft or wear
Application for issuance/ renewal/ replacement of passport for citizens residing overseas
For Cypriot citizens living abroad, the procedure to obtain, renew or replace a passport is the same as described above, except the place of submission of the application. The following Consular Authorities of the Republic receive the relevant applications:
- The original birth certificate
- The original naturalization certificate or registration
Issuance and receipt of passports
All passports are issued at the central offices of the Civil Registry and Migration Department in Nicosia. However, you can only receive your passport at the place where you submitted your application.
It is advised that you receive your passports not earlier than ten (10) working days from the day of your application. During some periods the waiting time may be longer due to the higher number of applications submitted and other factors such as systems' upgrades, maintenance works, etc. In any case, at the time of the application submission, you will be informed from the authorized officer for the time you will receive your passport.
Passports with the accelerated procedure are issued within forty-eight (48) hours from the submission of the application and can be received only at the Civil Registry and Migration Department.
Cypriot citizens living abroad will receive their passport from the Consular Authority at which the application was submitted, within 2 – 3 months from the day of the application.
For more information you can contact the Administration Authorities, the Citizens Service Centers and the Service Centres (Post Offices).
- Greece: Embassy of the Republic in Athens and General Consulate of the Republic in Thessaloniki
- United Kingdom: Embassy of the Republic in London
- France: Embassy of the Republic in Paris
- Germany: Embassy of the Republic in Berlin
- The Netherlands: Embassy of the Republic in The Hague
- Sweden: Embassy of the Republic in Stockholm
- United States of America: Embassy of the Republic in Washington D.C and General Consulate of the Republic in New York
- Australia: High Commission of the Republic in Canberra
- South Africa: High Commission of the Republic in Pretoria
- Israel: Embassy of the Republic in Tel Aviv
- Egypt: Embassy of the Republic in Cairo
- Lebanon: Embassy of the Republic in Beirut
- Russian Federation: Embassy of the Republic in Moscow
- Canada: High Commission of the Republic in Ottawa
- Austria: Embassy of the Republic in Vienna
- Serbia: Embassy of the Republic in Belgrade
- Spain: Embassy of the Republic in Madrid
- India: High Commission of the Republic in New Dehli
- Qatar: Embassy of the Republic in Doha