If you are aware of the requirements of current legislation on family reunification of third-country nationals, you can follow the steps below for the preparation of the application and documents to be attached to it. If you are interested in applying for a family member of a Cypriot citizen, click here.
If you are interested in further information on the requirements, beneficiaries, family members etc., please read the paragraphs that follow the steps below.
Download the documents at the bottom of the page.
Print the downloaded documents. From the list of supporting documents choose the one that corresponds to your needs.
Having read and understood the list of accompanying documents, collect the documents to submit.
(Attention to the documents that need to be submitted in their original form and duly validated/ certified. You can learn more in the validation of documents, here).
Attention, also, to the documents required to be collected by other Departments/ Services and documentation that may be required from abroad, since requisition in such cases may take time!
Complete and sign all other forms that may be required to accompany the application.
Fill in all fields of the application and sign it. Please pay attention to parts of the application that may require signatures from third parties.
Submit the application and its supporting documents at the Civil Registry and Migration Offices in Nicosia.
It is emphasised that at the time of the application submission, the photograph, fingerprints and signature of third country national will be captured by authorised personnel. For convenience purposes, the capturing of the above may take place up to one (1) week after the submission of the application, at the District Units of the Aliens and Immigration Service of the Police, at the District of residence (for all Districts except Nicosia) by presenting the application submission receipt and a valid travel document. The application is not considered complete and cannot be processed further if these data is not captured.
Defining family reunification
Family reunification refers to the entry and residence of the family members of a third-country national residing legally in the Republic, in order to preserve family unity.
Family Reunification Beneficiaries – The sponsor
According to the Aliens and Immigration Legislation, third-country nationals residing lawfully in the Republic of Cyprus have the right to family reunification with their family members, given that the sponsor:
- For information on the general application process for registration and issuance of a residence permit to a third-country national, click here
- For information on bank guarantees, click here
By way of derogation, the Director of the Department may provide, if the sponsor is employed by a company, within the meaning of the Companies Act, which has approval to employ third-country nationals, to not require a previous stay of at least two (2) years for family reunification purposes.
For the family reunification of intra-corpoprate transferees that reside in Cyprus with an intra-corporate transferee permit or a long-term mobility permit, in the frame of intra-corporate transfer, see the section that follows.
Family Reunification in the frame of Intra-corporate Transfer
The provisions of the existing legislation on family reunification [Articles 18KΘ-18ΛΗ] apply to the transferees holding an intra-corporate transferee permit or a long-term mobility permit. Certain derogations apply in order to facilitate the exercise of the right to family reunification for these cases [Article 18διςΘ]. Specifically:
- has stayed lawfully in the Republic for a period of at least two (2) years.
- is holding a residence permit with a duration of at least one (1) year.
- has reasonable prospects of obtaining the right of permanent residence.
- family reunification is not dependent on the requirement that the sponsor has reasonable prospects of obtaining the right of permanent residence
- family reunification is not dependent on the requirement that the sponsor has a minimum period of residence.
- The family reunification application can be submitted at the same time as the application of the sponsor
- The family reunification application is processed at the same time as the application of the sponsor, in cases where these applications are submitted at the same time
- If the conditions for family reunification are fulfilled, the family reunification applications are examined within 90 days from the date of submission.
- The residence permits issued to family members have in principle the same expiration date as the permit of the intra-corporate transferee.
- The family members of the intra-corporate transferee have the right to employment and self-employment.
All minor children mention in points (ii), (iii) and (iv) above must be under the age of eighteen (18) and not married.
Entry in the Republic
Steps after entry in the Republic
Within seven (7) days of arrival, family members must refer to the Civil Registry and Migration Department to record their registration at the Aliens’ Register, according to the Aliens and Immigration Regulations.
In addition, family members must, necessarily, within the above mentioned period, apply to the Department for a residence permit on family reunification grounds, according to the Aliens and Immigration Law.
It is noted that, for the application submission process to be competed, the capturing on the family members’ photograph, fingerprints and signature is necessary [fingerprints and signature are captured only for persons over the age of six(6)], if they are already in Republic. For purposes of facilitating the process, the reception of such data may be done up to one (1) week after the submission of the actual application form, at the District Aliens and Immigration Unit of the Police of the district of residence of the family members (for all districts except Nicosia), by presenting the receipt of application submission and a valid travel document. The application is not considered complete and cannot be examined further prior to receiving such data.
The residence permit issued by the Civil Registry and Migration Department is in the form of a card.
Residence permit duration
Where the conditions laid down by the Law are met, each family member is granted a residence permit on family reunification grounds.
Family members are granted a first residence permit for the duration of one (1) year. The permit is renewable and its validity cannot exceed the validity of the sponsor’s residence permit.
Maximum allowed duration of stay
The family members may reside in the Republic without a particular time limit, provided that the conditions of the legislation are met and given that they are holders of a valid residence permit on family reunification grounds.
Access to employment
- The sponsor's spouse, given that the marriage was conducted at least one (1) year before the submission of the application and that the spouse is over 21 years old.
- The minor children of the sponsor and of his/her spouse, including children adopted in accordance with a decision taken by the competent authority in Republic or a decision taken by the competent authority of another State or a decision which is automatically enforceable due to international obligations of the Republic
- The minor children, including adopted children, of the sponsor, as defined in point (ii), where the sponsor has custody and the children are dependent on him/her.
- The minor children, including adopted children, of the sponsor’s spouse, as defined in point (ii), where the sponsor’s spouse has custody and the children are dependent on him/her.