If you are aware of the current policy for companies of foreign interests, you can follow the steps below for the preparation of the application and documents to be attached to it. If you are interested in further information on the policy in place, please read first the paragraphs following the steps below.
Follow the link below and study the content of the page.
Follow the link below that corresponds to the category of staff you are interested in.
Download the documents on your computer.
Print the documents you downloaded. From the list of accompanying documents, choose the one that meets your needs, depending on which permit/ permits you will apply for.
After studying the list of accompanying documents for both the company's suitability and for obtaining a permit, collect the documents you need to submit.
(Attention to the documents that need to be submitted in their original form and duly validated/ certified. You can learn more in the validation of documents, here).
Attention, also, to the documents required to be collected by other Departments/ Services and documentation that may be required from abroad, since requisition in such cases may take time!
Fill in and sign any other forms that may have to accompany the application.
Fill in all the fields of the application form and sign it. Beware of the parts requiring signatures from third parties.
Submit the application and the documents to the Central Offices of the Civil Registry and Migration Department.
It is emphasised that at the time of the application submission, the photograph, fingerprints and signature of third country national will be captured by authorised personnel. For convenience purposes, the capturing of the above may take place up to one (1) week after the submission of the application, at the District Units of the Aliens and Immigration Service of the Police, at the District of residence (for all Districts except Nicosia) by presenting the application submission receipt and a valid travel document. The application is not considered complete and cannot be processed further if these data is not captured.
In order for companies of foreign interest, including former offshore companies and Cyprus shipping companies, to employ third country nationals in Cyprus, the following must apply:
- For information on the general application process for registration and obtaining a residence permit click here
- For information about the submission, amount, duration and return of letters of bank guarantee click here
- Their third country shareholders should own the majority of the company's shares. The following cases are excluded:
If the percentage of foreign participation in the company's share capital is equal to or less than 50% of the total share capital, in order for the company to be considered as suitable, the foreign participation should represent an amount equal to or greater than the amount of € 171.000.
- Public companies registered in any recognized stock exchange
- Former offshore companies that were operating in Cyprus by approval of the Cyprus Central Bank, before the change of the offshore status.
- In the case where companies are the shareholders, their final owners (natural persons who are the ultimate beneficial owners) should be declared, in order to receive the approval of the Civil Registry and Migration Department.
- A foreign direct investment of capital amounting to at least € 171.000, legally admitted to Cyprus from abroad. This should be proved by appropriate bank and other documents. This requirement only applies to companies which will employ staff from third countries for the first time.
Maximum number of third country employees per staff category
Senior Management: Five (5) persons, unless the Civil Registry and Migration Department is satisfied that the employment of a greater number is justified, depending on the circumstances of each company.
Middle management executives and other key personnel: Ten (10) persons, unless the Civil Registry and Migration Department is satisfied that the employment of a greater number is justified, depending on the circumstances of each company.
Support staff: There is no maximum number for the employment of third country nationals under this category, provided that the necessary approvals from the Department of Labour have been obtained. No approval from the Department of Labour is needed for third county nationals who enjoy free access to the labour marker.
For employing a greater number of third country personnel under the above categories, duly justified and documented requests by the company must be submitted to the Department. The requests must include information on the salary offered as well as:
- To operate in independent offices in Cyprus, housed in suitable premises, separate from any private housing or other office, except in the case of business co-habitation.
It is stressed that the requests should only concern specific persons whose employment is considered necessary by the company. General requests on the matter cannot be considered.
Conditions for third country nationals
Entering the Republic of Cyprus
Required Actions After Arrival
Validity of Temporary Residence and Employment Permit
Change of Employer
- The company’s turnover
- The ratio of third country employees to Cypriots / EU Nationals and
- The company's operating time in Cyprus.