The Civil Registry and Migration Department (CRMD) announces that on Monday, 29.9.2014, article 18ΦΖ(7) of the Aliens and Immigration Law (Cap.105) as well as article 4 of the Aliens and Immigration (Amending) (No.2) Law [Ν129(Ι)/2014, O.G. Annex.Ι(Ι) No. 4456] are set into force, for the following categories of third country nationals:
a) who reside or who will enter the Republic for employment purposes, and
b) who reside or who will enter the Republic for visiting purposes
[Κ.Δ.Π. 428/2014, O.G. Annex ΙΙΙ(Ι) Αρ. 4820, 12.9.2014, Number 428].
In view of the enforcement of the above legislation, the Civil Registry and Migration Department has reviewed the procedure for the issuance of residence permits for the above mentioned categories (for more details see relevant Announcement at the bottom of the page).
A1. Criteria for employment:
i. Families with a child under the age of 12 when both parents work and contribute to the Social Insurance Fund.
ii. Families with no children when both husband and wife, work and their annual declared taxable income is more than €52.000.
iii. Single parent families granted the custody of a child under the age of 12, provided that the parent works and contributes to the Social Insurance Fund.
iv. In cases where one of the two parents works, the annual declared taxable income should be at least €86.000.
v. Single working persons provided that their annual declared taxable income is more than €52.000 and that they are contributing to the Social Insurance Fund.
A2. Criteria for employment in exceptional cases:
i. Elderly people above the age of 75.
ii. People with special needs, provided that they present a certificate from a specialized doctor.
iii. People suffering from cancer (certificate from the Oncology Centre), multiple sclerosis (MS), mytonic dystrophy, nephropathy, myopathy, mental disorders and serious psychological problems, partial or total loss of vision, arthritis deformans, Alzheimer, dementia, as well as overweight persons with mobility problems (medical certificate mentioning the weight and the height of the person).
iv. Handicapped persons on wheelchairs or bed-bound persons.
v. Couples with more than three children provided that both parents work and contribute to the Social Insurance Fund and at least one of the children is under the age of 12.
1. The Application "MDW2" for the issue of Entry and Temporary Residence and Employment Permit is submitted by the employer, to the Civil Registry and Migration Department through the appropriate District Office of the Aliens and Immigration Unit of the Police or at the Central Offices of the Civil Registry and Migration Department in Nicosia.
2. Employers who wish to employ a third country national as a domestic worker, must search through EURES (European Employment Service), meaning they must advertise the post in the local press at a conspicuous place in at least two newspapers of mass circulation, as well as at the EURES for 3 weeks.
3. Employers who meet the criteria of paragraph A2 above, are exempted from this procedure.
1. Third country nationals must proceed for registration at the appropriate District Office of the Aliens and Immigration Unit of the Police, or the Central Offices of the Civil Registry and Migration Department in Nicosia, within 7 days from the date of the arrival. Biometric data such as finger prints and photo are collected.
D. Duration of stay
The maximum period of stay for third country nationals who work as domestic workers is 6 years (the initial permit is for 4 years +2 years for the renewal). The permit can be renewed after the 6th year, provided that the domestic worker is applying to work for the same employer.
E. Return of bank guarantees
1. For the return of the bank guarantee deposited for the repatriation of the third country national, a written request should be submitted by the employer to the Civil Registry and Migration Department.
2. The bank guarantee is returned only if the employee departs for his/her country or in case he/she is employed by another eligible employer, in which case the new employer is obliged to deposit a bank guarantee.
3. The bank guarantee is not returned in the following cases:
· the third country national has become illegal after the his/her permit was cancelled, or
· the third country national submitted an application for asylum, or
· the third country national was sentenced for a criminal offence and subsequently, he/she is considered a prohibited immigrant, or
· the alien abandoned his/her place of residence and work and he/she is missing and wanted for deportation purposes.
F. Change of Employer
1. No more than 2 changes of employer are allowed during the 6-year employment of domestic workers (except in case of death/depatriation/ transfer of the employer in a nursing home, criminal offense by the employer against the third country citizen or after a decision of the Labour Disputes Committee in favor of the third country citizen)
2. Change of employer is not allowed after 6 years of employment
G. Domestic Workers Salary
The application forms that need additional documents can be found in a compessed format with the .RAR extension. You can download WINRAR http://www.win-rar.com/download.html?&L=0 or other relevant program in order to view the files.
The gross salary for a Domestic Worker is €460 and the net salary is €309.
For more information those interested may communicate with the Civil Registry and Migration Department, CY1457 Nicosia, CYPRUS.