The registration of citizens of the E.U., E.E.A. and Switzerland (Union) and their family members who are also citizens of the Union is provided by the Law regarding the right of citizens of the Union and their family members to move and reside freely within the territory of the Republic.
Right of residence for up to three months
Citizens of the Union as well as their family members who are also Union citizens, who accompany or joining the Union citizen, have the right of residence for a period of up to three months without any conditions or any formalities other than the requirement to hold a valid identity card or passport.
Right of residence for more than three months
All Union citizens shall have the right of residence on the territory of the Republic of Cyprus for a period of longer than three months if they holders of a valid identity card or passport and:
Submission of application for a Registration Certificate (MEU1)
- are workers or self-employed persons in the host Member State; or
- have sufficient resources for themselves and their family members not to become a burden on the social assistance system of the Republic of Cyprus during their period of residence and have comprehensive sickness insurance cover in Cyprus.
- The application for the issue of a Registration Certificate is submitted by a Union citizen and family members who are also Union citizens, within four months from the date of entry into the Republic.
- The offices where applications can be submitted can be located here.To find out whether an appointment is needed follow this link.
- The MEU1 application must be accompanied with all the required supporting documents, which can be found in the list of supporting documents and which must be officially translated and duly certified.
- In order to proceed with the submission of an application, the required fees (see below) must be paid.
- During the application process a photograph is captured, after presenting the receipt issued for submission and a valid travel document.
- In case of approval the Registration Certificate will be issued and sent by post.
- In case of rejection of the application, a letter will be sent at the latest declared address, stating the reasons for the rejection. Updating their address is the absolute responsibility of the applicants, in order to receive the rejection letter and possible submission of a hierarchical course within the timeline provided by the Law.
Noncompliance with the requirement of applying for a Registration Certificate shall render the person concerned liable to a financial penalty up to two thousand and five hundred euro (€2,500).
The application fees for Union citizens and their family members who are also Union citizens is €20.
Examination time of an application
The examination of an application and the issuance of a decision is completed within one month at the latest, provided that the application is duly completed and all supporting documents are provided.
Duration of Registration Certificate
Registration certificates do not have an expiration date.
Access to employment
Union citizens and their family members enjoy free access to employment, including employed or self-employed activity.