Other family members of a Cypriot citizen who are not considered family members
and who are direct descendants or ascendants of a Cypriot citizen or of his/her spouse and who do not have sufficient own funds, are facilitated in order to submit an application for a visitor’s residence permit. Specifically, funds are accepted from the Cypriot citizen for the following third-country nationals:
Entry into the Republic
- Parents of Cypriots or his/her spouse,
- Adult children of Cypriots or his/her spouse, provided that they are up to 25 years old or until one year from the completion of their studies,
- Minor third-country nationals whose parents legally reside in the Republic and hold a permit as parents of minor Cypriot citizens . After reaching the age of 18 if they are supported by a third-country national parent, annual leave is granted until the age of 25 or up to one year after the completion of their studies.
Entry into the Republic is permitted through the legal entry points with a Visa
issued by the Republic’s Consular Authorities
and with a valid travel document. Before the expiration of the Visa an application shall be submitted according to the procedure below.
Procedure for applications
- For the acquisition or renewal of a residence permit to a visitor, an application (MVIS) must be submitted. The application should be accompanied by the necessary supporting documents. All supporting documents submitted in the context of applications must be officially translated and duly certified/certified.
- Applications are submitted at the application submission offices. To find out whether an appointment is needed follow this link.
- For the submission of the application, the necessary fees must be submitted, as listed below.
- During the submission of the application, and in cases where there is no previous registration, a first registration shall be made in the Aliens Registry and an Alien Registration Card (ARC) will be issued.
- For the issuance of the temporary residence permit capturing biometric data (photo and fingerprints) and the signature of the beneficiary is necessary, which is done with the presentation of the application submission receipt and a valid travel document. For persons who have not reached the age of six years at the time of applying only the photo is captured. This data is also captured for the renewal of the temporary residence permit.
- In case the application is approved, the applicant will receive a letter notifying them of how to receive their residence permit.
- In case the application is rejected, the applicant will receive a letter informing them of the rejection reasons.
Application examination time
- Issuance or renewal of a residence permit: €70
- Registration in the Aliens’ Register (only in cases of first registration): €70
Usually before the completion of four (4) months provided that the information or documents submitted in support of the application are sufficient.
Duration of validity of the residence permit
Visitors are granted a first temporary residence permit of one (1) year.
If the passport expires sooner, the residence permit is issued with a validity of three months before the expiry of the applicant's passport.
These permits are renewable, provided that the relevant criteria are met.