- The issuance of passports is governed by the Civil Registry Law.
- The application is submitted at the application submission offices in the specified form.
- The presence of the applicant is required for the submission of an application because during the process, the biometric data (photo and fingerprints) as well as the applicant’s signature are captured. Minors under the age of 12 are excluded from the obligation to provide fingerprints and signature. The data is captured by duly trained and authorized officers. Applicants may chose to submit their own photo, which must meet specific requirements (for details see the relevant document here). For the purpose of personal data protection, the captured fingerprints are deleted from Department's database within 48 hours from the issuance of the passport.
- In case the application is submitted by a person who acquired Cypriot citizenship through naturalization or registration and has not yet obtained an identity card, then the original foreign birth certificate must be submitted as an attachment to the relevant application (if the applicant was born abroad) along with the original naturalization certificate or registration.
- In case the application is submitted for a minor it must be completed and signed by both parents/guardians before the receiving officer. If one of the parents/guardians is abroad, the application must be completed and signed by the parent/guardian in the Republic and must be accompanied by the written consent of the parent/guardian abroad, that he/she consents to the issuance of the minor's identity card. This consent must be certified before a Consular officer at a Consular Authority of the Republic. If one of the two parents/guardians holds the right of the sole parental responsibility of the minor, the relevant application must be submitted along with the relevant family Court Order.
- In case you have lost your passport or it has been stolen, you should file a complaint to the Police for the loss/ theft and proceed to a relevant Court Affidavit . The relevant application must be submitted along with these documents. It is emphasized that for minors the rules mentioned above apply.
Issuance and receipt of passports
- Issuance / renewal of a passport for adults: €70
- Issuance / renewal of a passport for minors: €45
- Accelerated passport issuance/ renewal for adults: €120 (€70 fees + €50 additional fees for accelerated issuance procedure)
- Accelerated passport issuance/ renewal for minors: €95 (€45 fees + €50 additional fees for accelerated issuance procedure)
- Passport replacement due to loss, damage or theft: Double the foreseen fees (1st time) and double the previous time for each subsequent time.
- All passports are issued at the Central Offices of the Department in Nicosia
- The passport can only be obtained from the application submission office where the application was filed.
- It usually takes about 10 working days - from the time of submission of the application to the date of collection. However, this time may increase depending on the volume of applications received but also due to other factors, such as, for example, system upgrades, maintenance procedures, etc. The time applicable at all times is communicated to the applicants during the submission of their application. It is understood that for applications submitted to the Consular Authorities of the Republic, the delivery time is significantly longer and it is communicated to the applicants during the submission of their application.
- You can be informed about the status of your application using SMS notifications.
The validity of passports is 10 years for adults and 5 years for minors.
Passports issuance under accelerated procedure
For information on the accelerated procedure click here