Entry to the Republic of Cyprus
- A highly paid third-country national may enter the Republic for the purpose of employment in a company of foreign interests with a visa from the consular authorities of the Republic abroad, or with an entry permit from the Department for which an application is submitted by the employer.
- For the support staff, entry is allowed only with an entry permit.
After the arrival in the Republic, the third country national is required to register in the Aliens’ Register and obtain a temporary residence and employment permit, by submitting an application and the corresponding fees, or additional information in case the entry was achieved through an entry permit.
Submission of Applications
Fees and stamp duties
- Applications for entry, residence and employment permits can only be submitted to the Department's headquarters in Nicosia. To find out whether an appointment is needed follow this link.
- The application should be accompanied by the necessary supporting documents. All supporting documents submitted in the context of applications must be officially translated and duly certified/certified.
- For the submission of the application, the necessary fees must be submitted, as listed below.
- In order to apply for a temporary residence and employment permit, it is necessary the third country national to provide their biometric data (photo and fingerprints) and signature, with the presentation of the payment receipt and a valid travel document. The biometric data can be provided at the same time as the submission of the application or shortly after, at the District Immigration Unit of the Cyprus Police of the district of residence of the third country national. The collection of biometric data is also necessary for the renewal of a temporary residence and employment permit.
- In case of approval of the application, a notice of collection of the residence permit is sent.
- In case of rejection, a letter is sent with the reasons for the rejection.
Application examination time
- Issuance of an entry permit and a residence permit, valid for 1 – 3 years: €70
- Issuance or renewal of a residence permit, valid for 1 – 3 years: €80
- Registration in the Aliens’ Register (only in cases of first registration): €70
- Stamps: employment contracts should be stamped. The exact amount depends on the amount of the contract and can be secured by the Tax Department.
Applications shall be examined within one month, provided that they are duly completed. This time limit shall not apply if the information or documents submitted in the applications are insufficient and in such a case the examination time is increased.
Residence permit duration
The duration of the permit depends on the duration of the employment contract and can be up to three consecutive years.
Maximum duration of stay
A third country national employed at a company of foreign interests as highly paid may reside in the Republic without a time limit, provided that they hold a valid temporary residence and employment permit.
For support staff, the restrictions set for general employment of third country nationals in the Republic apply.
Change of employer
A highly paid employee in a company of foreign interests may change employer and be employed in another company of foreign interests, regardless of the length of stay in the Republic, provided that:
- finds employment within one month of the termination of his previous employment,
- the company of foreign interests that will employ them is also a company of foreign interests, based on the criteria set by the Council of Ministers and examined by the Business Facilitation Unit of the Ministry of Energy, Commerce and Industry.
An employee of a company of foreign interests may also change employer and be employed by an employer who is not a company of foreign interests, provided that they have not completed the maximum duration of stay in the Republic in regards to the category of residence in which they intend to be employed and provided that they meet the conditions of that category.
Re-entry into the Republic
- In case there is a valid residence permit, re-entry into Cyprus can be achieved upon presentation of the permit and a valid passport, provided that the person concerned has not remained outside the Republic for more than three months.
- In case an application has been submitted for a residence permit that has not yet been examined, then re-entry to the Republic can be obtained with the payment receipt provided after the submission of the application fees, which bears a stamp allowing re-entry into Cyprus. In case of loss of the payment receipt, the interested parties, before their departure from the Republic, must apply to the Department for a request for a re-entry permit, explaining the reasons why they must travel while the application is still pending. The form is provided for completion on the spot and upon presentation of a valid passport and stamp duties of €10,25. Usually, the request is examined at the same time. As a rule, a re-entry permit is granted only for serious reasons (e.g. medical reasons).