The Civil Registry and Migration Department announces that as of Monday, 12/06/2023, the Aliens and Immigration (Conditions of entry and residence of third-country nationals for the purposes of research, studies, training, voluntary service, pupil exchange schemes or educational projects) Law of 2019, L. 7(I)/2019, which incorporates the relevant European Directive (EU) 801Ι/2016 for the education sector, comes into full effect.
In view of the above, the Civil Registry and Migration Department has revised the procedure for issuing entry permits and residence permits for the education sector.
A. SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS
A.1 The new application form MEDU1/MEDUM1
(see APPLICATION - FORM MEDU1/MEDUM1) will be in effect and will be used for the following cases:
1. Registration, Issue of an Entry Permit and Issue of a Residence Permit
2. Issue of an Entry Permit and a Residence Permit
3. Registration and Issue of a Residence Permit
4. Issue of a Residence Permit
5. Renewal of a Residence Permit
6. Renewal of a Residence Permit due to a Change of Educational Institution or Programme of Studies (only for Students and Exchange Students)
7. Registration and Issue of a Long-Term Mobility Permit (only for Researchers)
8. Issue of a Long-Term Mobility Permit (only for Researchers)
9. Renewal of a Long-Term Mobility Permit (only for Researchers)
A.2 The MEDU1/MEDUM1 application must be accompanied, at the time of submission, by the documents described in the relevant List of accompanying documents
. All necessary information regarding the application process and related accompanying documents can be found here
A.3 In cases 1 and 2 above, after the arrival of the third-country national in the Republic, a submission of new application will not be required, but only:
• Submission of additional supporting documents
• Presence of the third-country national for the collection of biometric data and signature.
B.1 For the submission of the MEDU1/MEDUM1 application, for any of the above cases, the fees provided by the applicable Legislation [Law 7(I)/2019] are paid.
B.2 The fees are as follows:
Students, pupils, researchers, volunteers
1. Application for the issuance of an entry permit and residence permit 70 euros
2. Application for the issuance/renewal of a residence permit 55 euros
3. Registration in the foreign nationals' register(only in cases of first registration): 70 euros
1.Application for the issuance of an entry permit and residence permit 115 euros
2.Application for the issuance/renewal of a residence permit 100 euros
3.Registration in the foreign nationals' register(only in cases of first registration): 70 euros
B.3 It is noted that all required fees are paid in full upon submission of the application and cover the submission and examination of the application, as well as the issuance of the permit if the application is approved. Therefore, no fees are refunded in case of application rejection.
C. ACQUISITION OF BIOMETRIC DATA
C.1 For the acquisition of the residence permit, upon submission of the application, the physical presence of the third-country national is required to collect their biometric data and obtain their signature.
In case the application is also submitted for obtaining an entry permit, after obtaining the entry permit and the arrival of the third-country national in the Republic, within seven (7) days from their arrival, they must present themselves at the Civil Registry Migration Department or the District Units of the Aliens and Immigration Service of the Police to register and have their biometric data collected, as well as to provide their signature.
C.2 The collected fingerprints cannot be used for any other purpose except for the issuance of a residence permit and its verification for identity purposes by Cypriot authorities or other duly authorized foreign authorities, and they are deleted from the foreign nationals' register within 48 hours from the issuance of the residence permit.
D. ISSUANCE AND COLLECTION OF RESIDENCE PERMIT
D.1 For the issuance and collection of a residence permit or long-term mobility permit, please refer to the Information for the Application Submission recorded in the MEDU1/MEDUM1 application form.