The "Cyprus Startup Visa" Scheme is valid from 1st June 2022 until 31st May 2024.
The Scheme allows talented entrepreneurs from third countries [outside the European Union (EU) and outside the European Economic Area (EEA)], individuals or a team, to enter, reside and work in Cyprus in order to establish / operate / develop a Startup with a high growth potential. The Scheme’s goal is the creation of new jobs, the promotion of innovation and research, the development of the business ecosystem and consequently the economic development of the country. The Scheme supports the establishment of new innovative Startup or the move of established innovative Startups to Cyprus.
Process for Obtaining Initial Approval
The Applicant/s must submit an application to the Deputy Ministry of Research, Innovation and Digital Policy. You can find the application, all required documents and a practical guide here.
The Deputy Ministry of Research, Innovation and Digital Policy approves or rejects the application within five weeks of receiving a completed application.
In the case of a positive evaluation of the application, the applicant/s will receive a Notification of Initial Approval, which grants them the right to economic activity in the Republic of Cyprus for two years, with the possibility of renewal for at least another year, from the date of issue.
Submission of an Application of Entry and Work / Residence permit in the Republic of Cyprus
The application’s initial approval does not automatically guarantee a right of entry, residence or employment in the Republic. The Department of Civil Registry and Migration and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is notified by the Deputy Ministry about the approval of the Application.
When the applicant/s obtains the Notification of Initial Approval while abroad, they must submit within six (6) months an application for visa to the Consular Authorities of the Republic or to the Department of Civil Registry and Migration to secure entry/registration/residence permit. The application will be reviewed within three (3) weeks after complete submission. In case of approval, the applicant should arrange entry into the Republic within the document’s validity period.
If the applicant/s receive the Notification of Initial Approval while legally staying in the Republic, they must submit within one (1) month an application to the Department of Civil Registry and Migration to ensure registration/residence permit for the establishment/operation/and development of a Startup. The application is examined within three (3) weeks after its complete submission. In case of approval, a residence permit is issued, valid for one year from the date of the Notification of Initial Approval.
If the applicant is in the Republic with a visitor status, before submitting the application, they should submit a written request to the Department of Civil Registry and Migration in order to change their residence status. The request will be reviewed within five (5) weeks.
Procedure for application submission at the Civil registry and Migration Department
- Applications are submitted at the Department's headquarters in Nicosia.To find out whether an appointment is needed follow this link.
- The application should be accompanied by the necessary supporting documents. All supporting documents submitted in the context of applications must be officially translated and duly certified/certified.
- For the submission of the application, the necessary fees must be submitted, as listed below.
- For a work/ residence permit to be issued, it is necessary for the third country national to provide their biometric data (photo and fingerprints) and signature, with the presentation of the payment receipt and a valid travel document. The biometric data can be provided at the same time as the submission of the application or up to one (1) week after, at the District Immigration Unit of the Cyprus Police of the district of residence of the third country national. The application is not considered complete and cannot be processed further if these data is not captured. The collection of biometric data is also necessary for the renewal of a temporary residence and employment permit.
- In case of approval of the application, a notice of collection of the residence permit is sent.
- In case of rejection, a letter is sent with the reasons for the rejection.
- Issue of an Entry Permit and a Temporary Residence Permit: €120
- Issue/ Renewal of a Temporary Residence Permit: €130
- Registration in the Aliens’ Register (only in cases of first registration): €70